Students and Tenants
NU:LETS was created to help improve our students’ accommodation experience during their time at University
We want to assist you in finding a suitable property in the right location that matches your requirements and meets current safety regulations.
We use a simple Tenancy Agreement with easy to understand terms, accessible to prospective tenants and guarantors at any time. We’re committed to ethical initiatives such as electric company vehicles, and supporting local authorities’ sustainability drives, including marketing without ‘To Let’ boards to help reduce crime and preserve the aesthetics of the area.
Please read on for further information about NU:LETS or simply drop in to our office or call 0191 227 4585.
Emmanuel Kabengele – President,
Northumbria Students’ Union
“NU:Lets is the Students’ Union lettings agency for Northumbria students which seeks to ensure that students find quality housing in Newcastle whilst studying here at Northumbria. We strive to provide a great service to students. We have already saved students over £200,000 since opening in 2012.”
Top Tips for Tenants:
- Don’t rush!There is more than enough quality private rented student accommodation in Newcastle for everyone so take your time.
- Make sure you are happy with who you will be living with. Once you sign the tenancy, you have entered a legally binding Make a checklist of what you need from your accommodation; rent, location, facilities, condition etc.
- Come see us first, we will have a vast amount of quality properties available. Ask to see the contract before you sign it and if in doubt get the Students’ Union Advice Centre to look over it for you.
- Good quality properties in areas that aren’t on a Metro line or that involve a half hour walk into the city centre, such as Fenham or the far side of Heaton, are often available for as much as £50 per person per week less than more expensive areas such as Jesmond or the Quayside. This can mean saving over £2500 over the course of a 12 month tenancy! Well worth a look…
- Ask to see the contract before you sign it and if in doubt refer it to the Northumbria University Accommodation Office on campus to look over it for you before signing.
- Make sure you are happy with who you will be living with. Once you sign the tenancy, you have entered a legally binding agreement
- Ask your agent for a 10 month tenancy – typically from September to July – to avoid paying rent when you’ve already finished University and gone home for the summer